Churches in Himachal are today a major part of the sightseeing tours within the hillstations where ever they are located. Most of the old heritage churches in Himachal were built by the Bristish along with other structures while developing those hamlets as summer retreats for its troops. Shimla, Solan and Dharamshala has some of the most well known churches in Himachal Pradesh.
Christianity followed the Britishers to Himachal Pradesh which today is marked by some magnificent churches especially in the hill stations developed by the British as summer retreats. Some of the heritage churches in Himachal which are almost 200 years old happen to be amongst the oldest churches in north India.
St. John in the Wilderness
St. John in the Wilderness is an Anglican church dedicated to John the Baptist built in 1852, located near Dharamshala, India on the way to McLeodGanj at Forsyth Gunj. Set amidst deodar forest the church is signified for its Belgian stained-glass windows donated by Lady Elgin, wife of Lord Elgin. The church of St. John in the Wilderness is also the final resting place of Lord Elgin who served as Governor General of the Province of Canada and viceroy of British India for a brief period between 1862 - 1863.
Christ Church - Kasauli
Currently under the auspices of diocese of Amritsar Christ Church - Kasauli is built in the shape of a cross. Christ Church - Kasauli is dedicated to St. Francis and St. Barnabas.
Christ Church - Shimla
Built in the neo-Gothic style in 1857 to serve the largely Anglican British community Christ Church located on the Ridge in Shimla is one of the most visited place in Shimla. The Pipe-Organ of Christ Church is the biggest in the India and was erected in September 1899.